Follow this guidance for communicating with your mortgage company:

  • Contact your insurance company right away to file a claim if damage has occurred to your home;
  • After that, contact your loan servicer to inform them if damage has occurred to your home – your loan servicer’s contact information is on your mortgage statement; and
  • Depending on the severity of the damage, and the amount of funds issued by your insurance company, it may be necessary for the servicer to hold the insurance funds, monitor the progress of the repairs, and disburse out to the contractor (similar to a repair set aside) after an inspection has been completed on the home.
  • If you had damage and need to move out of your property, update your contact information with your servicer and provide an alternate contact in the event that your servicer has difficulty reaching you.
  • If you had no damage, but you are going to be away from your home for a prolonged period of time, let your servicer know. 

If you are having difficulty contacting your mortgage servicer, contact the Homeowner’s HOPE Hotline at 1-888-995-HOPE (4673) for assistance and FREE confidential support from a HUD-approved housing counselor.?

Learn more on HUD’s webpage: Disaster Relief Options for FHA Homeowners

Click here to enlarge this flyer from HOPE Now